- It is the most common form of headache (with 78% of the global population experiencing it)
- It is caused by both muscular and psychogenic factors such as stress, posture, and depression
- It is also known as muscle contraction headache, ordinary headache, essential headache, idiopathic headache, psychomyogenic headache, stress headache, and psychogenic headache
- In most cases, it lasts between 30 minutes to seven days.
##Types of Tension headache (TH);
- Infrequent episodic TH (1-2 or fewer episodes per month). It is associated with a stressful event.
- Frequent episodic type TH (fewer than 15 episodes per month for 3 or more months)
- Chronic TH (> 15 episodes per month for ≥ 3s months). It is associated with contracted muscles of the neck and scalp
##Complications of treatment of TH include:
- Dependence on or addiction to narcotic analgesics and caffeine
- GI bleeding from use of NSAIDs
- Medical Overuse Headache (MOH)
- Risk of epilepsy by a factor of up to 4 times