- Therapeutic abortion is only recommended in cases where the health of the mother and / or fetus is at risk.
- In Kenya the decision to carry out therapeutic abortion should be made by at least two experienced doctors.
##Conditions that may call for therapeutic abortions include:
- Anencephaly: a defect in the formation of the neural tube that can result in a failure of the brain, skull and scalp to develop
- Genetic defects such as Meckel-Gruber Syndrome, Pentalogy of Cantrell, Thanatophoric Dysplasia and various chromosomal abnormalities.
- Excessive hydrocephalus
- Excessive amniotic bands in the uterus
- Woman with a severely compromised heart
- Diagnosis of a dangerous cancer that requires immediate treatment