- Analgesics such as: Syr/Tabs Paracetamol 10mg /Kg TID x 5/7
- Antibiotics such as: Syr / Caps Amoxicillin 25 – 50mg /kg TID x 5/7 or Susp/Tabs Erythromycin 30 – 50mg /kg TID x 5/7
(NB: topical quinolones can be effective in resolving otorrhoea)
- If the patient has not improved after 5 days, repeat the above treatment.
- Topical steroids (to reduce granuloma formation) and it is used combined antibiotic/steroid preparations
##Drying the ear by wicking:
- The mother / guardian is shown how to keep the ear dry by wicking
- A piece of cloth or cotton wool is rolled into a wick
- It is inserted carefully into the ear and rolled gently
- Remove and examine it for wetness
- If wet, repeat the procedure several times until it is dry.
- This procedure is repeated QID until the time when the ears will be dry
- Myringoplasty (repair of the eardrum perforation)
- Tympanoplasty (repair of the eardrum and surgery involving the bones of the inner ear)
- Cochlear implants (after the cure of CSOM)