- First set up oxytocin drip consisting 20IU in 500mL Normal saline or 5% dextrose at a rate of 20 drops per minute until it is over (approximately after 4 hours)
- Initiate the following: IV Crystalline penicillin 3 mega units QID PLUS IV Gentamycin 80mg TID PLUS Tabs Ibuprofen 400mg TID
- Carry out suction curettage.
- Continue with oxytocin drip until the patient is stable.
- Discharge the patient with the following:
Caps Doxycycline 100mg BD x 1/52; Tabs Metronidazole 400mg TID x 1/52; Tabs Ibuprofen 400mg TID x 5/7
- After 2 wks review the patient and carry out D & C to ensure that evacuation was complete. Also pick some tissues for histology.
- Put the patient on an appropriate contraceptive for at least one year.